Friday 23 April 2010

Getting Back on That Space-Horse

Well crap. I guess I've fallen off the wagon again.

Four months ago I quit EVE Online, and actually felt pretty good about doing so. I was playing a lot without getting very much out of it, and frankly I'd fallen out of love with the game. Blame 0.0 I suppose. I'd joined up with a big ol' alliance a couple of months ago and as much as I was enjoying the epic scale, all the 'endgame' stuff that EVE is famous for, I lost a lot of what made it fun for me. Screwing around with friends, small-gang PvP and the freedom to do whatever the hell I wanted.

Plus, I was stony-ass broke, which didn't help.

So I ditched it. Subs lapsed (not that I subbed anyway, DeepSpaceSupply is much cheaper for UK players), mails unread and skill-queue left unmanned. A clean break.

But you know what, EVE is real good at getting its claws into you. Even months later I still thought about what might be going on back with the other guys I knew from the old days, what the politics were up to in 0.0 and whether the Goons had self-destructed. The reason, it finally occurred to me, why I still cared was a simple one.

EVE Online is a really good game.

Still, I wasn't going back there. Not yet, anyway. It took some time until the metaphorical pebble kicked off the allegorical landslide. It was a YouTube video. A video that I randomly bounced onto at 2AM, trawling for something to entertain me. This video was special in that it was an Alliance Tournament video, specifically the famous 'Team-of-Thoraxes-VS-BoB' match.

I watched it, and got so damn pleased with it that it lead me to a solid conclusion - I was going to start EVE again, and play it how I wanted to.

Now, where to start...

No comments:

Post a Comment